develooper Front page | perl.macosx | Postings from October 2005

Re: Obvious Noob Q

From:
Edward Moy
Date:
October 29, 2005 10:18
Re: Obvious Noob Q
Message ID:
AA023159-790F-4B05-BA0A-C88CC005247B@apple.com
If you run:

     % perl -V

you'll see (at the end) @INC, the list of directories that perl will
search for modules.  First comes the standard ones in /System/Library/
Perl, then the place for user-installable modules in /Library/Perl.  /
Network/Library/Perl might be used by organizations with fileservers
that want to have a central place for their modules.

Then there is the /System/Library/Perl/Extras directories that Apple
uses for third party modules it ships.  Finally you should see /
Library/Perl/5.8.1, which is for compatibility with previous user-
installed modules, as in your case.

So you should be fine with perl finding your 5.8.1 modules, as they
should be compatible.  If you find that any needs to be updated, they
should automatically go into /Library/Perl/5.8.6 when installed,
overriding the older ones in /Library/Perl/5.8.1.  Over time, you
should be able to clean out the old modules as new ones go in.

Edward Moy
Apple

P.S.  Note that the Extras and 5.8.1 directories are controlled by
the file /Library/Perl/5.8.6/AppendToPath, a feature added by Apple
to simulate the effect if you had actually compiled perl 5.8.6
yourself, as it would automatically see the old 5.8.1 directories and
compile those in.  You can add your own paths to this file if you
want to append paths to @INC systemwide.  If you create a file /
Library/Perl/5.8.6/PrependToPath, then those paths will be added to
the beginning of @INC systemwide.

If you ever have a need to run a stock perl installation (assuming
you haven't installed anything in /System/Library/Perl), you can move
the /Library/Perl/5.8.6/AppendToPath file aside (just remember to put
it back afterwards).  This might be useful for developers who want to
make sure that their code will run on a stock perl installation, or
to see what additional modules their code depends on.