develooper Front page | perl.macosx | Postings from February 2005

Re: Suggestions to better ship Perl on OS X.

From:
Edward Moy
Date:
February 17, 2005 08:47
Re: Suggestions to better ship Perl on OS X.
Message ID:
8929CD4E-8103-11D9-95CA-00039340A442@apple.com
On Feb 17, 2005, at 6:32 AM, Richard Cook wrote:

> On Feb 17, 2005, at 5:57 AM, Sherm Pendley wrote:
>
>> On Feb 17, 2005, at 8:31 AM, Richard Cook wrote:
>>
>>> Going through old list mail and found this one ... don't know if
>>> it's still relevant, but ... I have "identical" OS X 10.3.8 installs
>>> on two different machines ... identical that is except one has Xcode
>>> Developer Tools installed on it, and the other doesn't.
>>>
>>> perldoc -f will not work on the Xcode-less machine, and contrary to
>>> what is said below, I don't see perlfunc.pod anywhere on the Xcode
>>> machine (where perldoc -f works).
>>
>> perlfunc.pod is installed as part of the Developer Docs sub-package
>> in Xcode. It's installed to:
>>
>> 	/System/Library/Perl/5.8.1/pods/perlfunc.pod
>
> Yes, you're right ... I suppose that Find in the Finder doesn't find
> it because /System is excluded from Find, unless you specifically
> choose it?
>
> Anyway, I too wonder why perlfunc.pod is not part of the default
> install, if perldoc is. Probably this has been or will be fixed ...

I hope so.  I made the group that is in charge of assigning things to
the different sub-packages, aware of the problem.  I'll keep pestering
them and hope they will change it in Tiger.

Ed