develooper Front page | perl.macosx | Postings from January 2002

Re: HFS+ and directory layout

From:
Ken Williams
Date:
January 8, 2002 01:12
Re: HFS+ and directory layout
Message ID:
E0101D16-0417-11D6-9A8D-003065F6D85A@mathforum.org

On Monday, January 7, 2002, at 01:12 PM, Dan Kogai wrote:
> Maybe.  this case-preserving, yet case-insensitive nature of HFS(+)
> sometimes bites you when you are used to ffs and its variants
> (including UFS).
>
> * perl itself requires UFS to compile because of this

No it doesn't - see the archives of this list for directions for
compiling on HFS+.  It's pretty easy.

> * Second one is more of the problem of how you configure Perl
> installation.  I consider standard "layout" for Perl on MacOS X too
> dangerous (do you hear me, Sanchez?)
>
> installbindir and installscriptdir should've been /usr/local/bin, not
> /usr/bin.

Probably so, but shouldn't LWP be using 'installsitebin' instead of
'installbin' anyway?  Seems like there's joint blame here.

  -Ken