develooper Front page | perl.libwww | Postings from January 2018

Re: Border case: Basic authentication with a comma in the auth realmfails

From:
Olaf Alders
Date:
Re: Border case: Basic authentication with a comma in the auth realmfails
Message ID:
0A24C8C4-9102-4B76-A2AE-1C1C82045FA9@wundersolutions.com
Hi Harald,

> On Jan 12, 2018, at 6:54 PM, Harald Jörg <Harald.Joerg@arcor.de> wrote:
>
> Hello libwww,
>
> I've encountered a situation where browsers "just work" but
> LWP::UserAgent fails.
>
> This is a border case which apparently went unnoticed for decades, and
> for my own problem I've found a ridiculously easy workaround.  So I'm
> not sure whether it is a good idea or worth the effort to change
> things.  I volunteer to create a test case but am hesitating with a
> fix because this might break things in the real world.

Thanks very much for this detailed explanation of what you've been seeing.  I don't really know this part of the code well enough to be able to comment on this right now, but there was a recent pull request which deals with authentication.  Does https://github.com/libwww-perl/libwww-perl/pull/255/files fix anything for you?

If it does or it doesn't, it might be worth commenting on the existing pull request.

Best,

Olaf