develooper Front page | perl.libwww | Postings from January 2015

DNS lookup failures: (Bad hostname)

From:
Bill Moseley
Date:
January 9, 2015 15:28
Subject:
DNS lookup failures: (Bad hostname)
Message ID:
CAKhN_m5=sJXGN8vGmcjnNkd3KpH8hXagVh2UdN3d36QdwYUdvA@mail.gmail.com
On our production machines running LWP 6.04 and LWP::Protocol::https 6.03 I
see a few times a day messages like:

500 Can't connect to dl.dropboxusercontent.com:443 (Bad hostname)

Yet, when I try fetching using lwp-request on the same machine the lookup
works fine and I can fetch the content.

I suspect an issue with our own DNS, but I'm only aware of these lookup
failures reported by LWP (we have lots of other non-Perl code that is doing
lookups all day long).

Anyway, I just wanted to check here to see if anyone else has also seen
hostname lookup failures for valid hostnames that might indicate a problem
in the Perl libraries.

I'll look at adding more debugging -- like running dig or hostname on LWP
failures of this type and see if those also fail at the same time.    Any
other ideas for debugging?

Thanks,

--
Bill Moseley