develooper Front page | perl.libwww | Postings from October 2013

Perl, LWP and HTTPS

From:
Alastair Mackenzie
Date:
October 11, 2013 00:26
Subject:
Perl, LWP and HTTPS
Message ID:
C591282DC0E54BE697F3ECF83C9E09EF@Desktop5150
Hi.

I'd like to use Perl to access some web sites.  I've been reading 'Perl & LWP' --- which has been very helpful and seems to make sense --- and now I'd like to get on with some scripting.  However, I've run into a bit of a problem.  The main URL that I'm interested in accessing uses the HTTPS protocol, and my version of LWP doesn't support HTTPS.  When I try to run my script the status_line comes back as "501 Protocol scheme 'https' is not supported (Crypt:::SSLeay not installed)".  If I add "use Crypt::SSLeay;" to my script I get an error message saying "Can't locate Crypt/SSLeay in @INC".

I gather that I need either Crypt::SSLeay --- or possibly LWP-Protocol-https --- but I don't know how find out exactly what I need or how to get it.  Can you point me in the right direction, please?

I'm using ActivePerl 5.8.8.817.

I'm reasonably computer literate, but I don't have any experience of compiling packages, so I'll need step-by-step instructions (or a book or on-line course on this subject).

>>  Which module(s) do I need?

>>  How do I go about getting and installing the necessary module(s)?

>>  My version of ActivePerl seems to include something called 'PPM'.  Is that relevant?  If so, how can I get step-by-step instructions on how to use it?

>>  Do I need OpenSSL?  If so, how can I get step-by-step instructions on how to obtain and install it?

>>  Would it make any difference if I upgrade to ActivePerl 5.16?

Thanks for your help,

Alastair Mackenzie
Phone:    +44-(0)1325-333333
Mobile:    +44-(0)7966-312980