develooper Front page | perl.libwww | Postings from June 2003

LWP HEAD still overwrites head (was Re: Installing 5.8.0)

From:
Ken Williams
Date:
June 20, 2003 09:20
Subject:
LWP HEAD still overwrites head (was Re: Installing 5.8.0)
Message ID:
C4157332-A339-11D7-B7DE-003065F6D85A@mathforum.org

On Friday, June 20, 2003, at 12:02  PM, Ken Williams wrote:

> On Friday, June 20, 2003, at 07:36  AM, Robert Dalgleish wrote:
>
>> It is fixed in the LWP installer.
>
> Robert, can you be more specific?  I've looked through the source for
> the LWP Makefile.PL (which I guess is what you mean by "the LWP
> installer") and I just don't see anything to handle it.  It simply
> passes "bin/HEAD" to the EXE_FILES parameter for ExtUtils::MakeMaker.

I think I see now what was *intended* to be the fix, but it doesn't fix
the problem.  The Makefile.PL has this:

     for my $alias (@request_aliases) {
         my $default = "y";
         # check that we don't overwrite something unrelated with
         # the current defaults.
         if (open(PROG, "<$Config{sitebin}/$alias")) {
             $default = "n";
             while (<PROG>) {
                 if (/lwp-request/) {
                     $default = "y";
                     last;
             close(PROG);
         }
         if (prompt("Do you want to install the $alias alias?",
$default) =~ /^y/) {
             push(@tmp, $alias);

That's really a poor solution, and it's also broken.  It's poor because
it just changes the default from 'y' to 'n' for installing HEAD, but
it'll still clobber it if you say 'y'.
It's broken because it'll look for conflicts in $Config{sitebin}
(/usr/local/bin) but install the script to $Config{installscript}
(/usr/bin) so it'll never detect the conflict.

I'm cc-ing this message to libwww@perl.org so they can take action.

  -Ken