develooper Front page | perl.libwww | Postings from April 2003

Re: Connection: close -- and LWP::RobotUA

From:
Sean M. Burke
Date:
Re: Connection: close -- and LWP::RobotUA
Message ID:
5.1.0.14.1.20030413152304.024d26e0@mailstore.pobox.com
At 11:01 PM 2003-04-12 -0700, Bill Moseley wrote:
>I use LWP::RobotUA and use a delay.  But I'm thinking about setting the
>delay to zero for the *next* request when using keep-alives and not seeing
>the Connection: close response header.  Why delay if the server is waiting
>for your next request?

I'm not intimately familiar with server internals, but I can imagine that
the server waiting doesn't necessarily consume a lot of resources, compared
to the case where you just hammer it.

I'm not arguing that that's true (because I don't know enough to support
that), but just that it's possible.

Altho I do think that if you have particularly long delays, there's ends up
being no point at all in having keepalives.  Personally, I have my delays
be just a few seconds, so I assume I'm nowhere near that point.

--
Sean M. Burke    http://search.cpan.org/~sburke/