develooper Front page | perl.libwww | Postings from March 2003

$url->path_segments()

From:
Sean M. Burke
Date:
March 12, 2003 22:56
Subject:
$url->path_segments()
Message ID:
5.1.0.14.1.20030312215328.023bea30@mail.spinn.net
One of the timid woodland creatures that read my /Perl and LWP/ book came
and asked me a question the other day.  It's an interesting question with a
somewhat surprising answer, so I'll copy it here:

At 11:37 AM 2003-03-12 -0500, [some guy] wrote:
>Sorry to bug you, but I have a quick question I cant find the answer to.
>
>When using URI::URL (or normal URI) and breaking down a url to grab
>$url->path_segments(); is the first one that is returned always blank or
>is it just me? and if this is correct, why is it always blank? I find
>myself having to grab $blah[1] to get the first actual segment.

I've been wondering about this for ages.  But just now I thought of the
answer (or at least an answer): relative URL objects!  They don't have to
start with a slash, so their $blah[0] might have something in it.

See:

% perl -d  -e 1
Editor support available.

Enter h or `h h' for help, or `perldoc perldebug' for more help.

main::(-e:1):   -1
   DB<1> use URI

   DB<2> $x = URI->new('stuff/things')

   DB<3> x $x->canonical->as_string