develooper Front page | perl.libwww | Postings from February 2003

Re: how to fetch https pages

From:
Josh Chamas
Date:
February 12, 2003 11:00
Re: how to fetch https pages
Message ID:
3E4A999E.90200@chamas.com
Lance wrote:
> "Lance" <lancestuff27@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> OK, I finally found out why Crypt-SSLeay won't install.  It is a
> Solaris-only module!  I used 'describe Crypt-SSLeay' in ppm3 to find this
> out.  So the next question is:  How can I use my perl script to read https
> pages?  I keep getting a 501 http error code - protocol not available.
>
> The LWP docs say to use Crypt-SSLeay, btw.  But no alternatives.

Check with ActiveState to see what Crypt::SSLeay builds they packages
for ppm for which ActivePerls... sometimes its just a matter of using
the right ActivePerl build #.  I don't know why their support of
Crypt::SSLeay has been splotchy, you would think it would be part
of their automated build processes by now.

If you want to have a go at installing / compiling OpenSSL yourself
& Crypt::SSLeay, read the OpenSSL win32 installation instructions
in particular.  You will need a compiler, preferrably MS VC++ 6,
but it compiles & installs fine. ( I just did it in the past couple weeks ).

If you are on a unix platform & not win32, then installation of
openssl & Crypt::SSLeay it typically as easy as compiling & installing
any other software.

Regards,

Josh