develooper Front page | perl.libwww | Postings from December 2001

Re: Does URI-1.17 work? How????

From:
Gisle Aas
Date:
Re: Does URI-1.17 work? How????
Message ID:
lrellccnli.fsf@caliper.activestate.com
Fred Koschara <wfredk@L5Development.com> writes:

> I'm trying to install mod_perl for Apache 1.3.22 on FreeBSD4.4 with Perl5.6.1.
> I got libwww-perl and all of the modules needed to support it, and installed
> them using the standard perl Makefile.PL; make; make test; make install.  The
> supporting modules all seemed to be installed properly, so I went back to
> building mod_perl-1.26.  I finally got the make to work, but when I do a
> make test, this results:
>
>    ====================== begin test output ==============================
> .../apache_1.3.22/src/httpd -f `pwd`/t/conf/httpd.conf -X -d `pwd`/t &
> httpd listening on port 8529
> will write error_log to: t/logs/error_log
> letting apache warm up...\c
> done
> /usr/bin/perl t/TEST 0
> Can't locate object method "new" via package "URI::URL" (perhaps you forgot to
> load "URI::URL"?) at ../blib/lib/Apache/test.pm line 253.
> *** Error code 255

This probably means that the test code assumes that it URI::URL will
have been loaded as a side effect of loading LWP.  With recent
versions of LWP this is no longer the case.

One workaround you could try is to set up the PERL_HTTP_URI_CLASS
environment variable like this:

  export PERL_HTTP_URI_CLASS=URI::URL

before you run the mod_perl test.

> I looked in the /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/i386-freebsd/auto/URI/
> directory, and all that was in there was the .packlist file - no .so or .bs
> files such as are in the HTML/Parser directory.  Not only that, but there
> isn't a URI.so or URI.bs anywhere on my system.  Thus, it appears the URI
> make and install didn't.  Is there something unobvious going on here I need
> to be aware of?

URI is a pure perl module.  There should not be any .so or .bs files
around for it.  Things are probably normal.

> Or is there something wrong with mod_perl and/or its test code?

That's my guess.  Try to add a 'use URI::URL' statement to the module
that tries to instantiate URI::URL objects.

Regards,
Gisle