develooper Front page | perl.libwww | Postings from December 2001

libwww LWP eBay related bug

From:
imap
Date:
December 2, 2001 03:33
Subject:
libwww LWP eBay related bug
Message ID:
3C09AA30.11256B0B@chesapeake.net

I am having extreme problems trying to fetch eBay items
using LWP.  Try to fetch an auction item like:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1304138736

Note: This item number expires 12/9/2001

perl -MLWP::Simple -e 'getprint
"http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1304138736"'
500 Bad header: HTTP/1.0 200 OK
 <URL:http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1304138736>

The weird thing is that it works fine with all versions of IE, Netscape,
lynx, etc, but fails for LWP and WGET.  I poke around and found a document
that describes the bug for wget
http://www.mail-archive.com/wget@sunsite.dk/msg01562.html

To summarize the report, it says that some of eBay's page (like the one
mentioned above) dont output a "Content-type" header, it uses the
"<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type"" tag instead.  Why?  I dunno...
Wayne Schlitt developed a patch for wget-1.7.1-pre1 to assume "Content-type:
text/html"
if no header is found.  I am hoping that the author of LWP will follow suit.

Like I say, most all browsers make this assumption and work fine.  Apparently
this is a fairly recent issue with these eBay pages.  Does anyone know of a
quickfix
or patch for LWP to deal with this?

Thanks,

Chris Stuber (mapsurfer)