develooper Front page | perl.libwww | Postings from November 2001

Wish for request/response lines in GET/HEAD/...

From:
Rodent of Unusual Size
Date:
November 17, 2001 10:55
Subject:
Wish for request/response lines in GET/HEAD/...
Message ID:
20011117111458.A15004@Lithium.MeepZor.Com
Since I work directly with the HTTP protocol stuff a lot,
one thing that has always bothered me about the (otherwise
incredibly handy & useful) GET, HEAD, and POST scripts is
that they *don't* provide a complete verbatim report of
the request-line and response-line, even under the most
verbose conditions.  Instead of showing what was actually
sent, namely:

  GET /foo.txt HTTP/1.1

they *lie*, and tell me they sent:

  GET http://host.name/foo.txt

Notice particularly the lack of protocol version.  Similarly,
they'll report a response-line of

  GET http://host.name/foo.txt --> 200 OK

instead of what I want to see, which was the line actually
sent back:

  HTTP/1.1 200 OK

Is there simply an option I can't find that will report these
explicit and uninterpreted details?  It looks as though
the status_line is interpreted in HTTP::Response and not
really available in its raw form anywhere..
--
#ken	P-)}