develooper Front page | perl.libwww | Postings from October 2001

Very bizarre problem

From:
jesso2000
Date:
October 21, 2001 23:53
Subject:
Very bizarre problem
Message ID:
5.1.0.14.2.20011022024433.00ac7190@mail.earthlink.net
I've stumbled across a very bizarre problem that I'm hoping someone
can shed some light on for me. I really need to get this figured out.
In a nutshell, here's the very simple code to duplicate the problem:

use LWP::Debug qw(+);
use LWP::Simple;
get 'https://sprinks.about.com';

Something very weird is going on here. If I run this from my shell, half
the time it works and half the time it doesn't. I can just keep running it
over and over and in a seemingly random fashion it will work fine or it
will say internal server error for some reason. I've tried this on 4 boxes
all running the latest version of LWP with the same random results.

Here is the exact output I get when it fails:

LWP::UserAgent::new: ()
LWP::UserAgent::request: ()
LWP::UserAgent::simple_request: GET https://sprinks.about.com/
LWP::UserAgent::_need_proxy: Not proxied
LWP::Protocol::http::request: ()
LWP::Protocol::http::request: GET / HTTP/1.0
Host: sprinks.about.com

LWP::Protocol::http::request: reading response
LWP::UserAgent::request: Simple response: Internal Server Error

I've determined that it has to have something to do with the SSL because
it doesn't do this if you remove the "s" from the URL. I've never had any
problems whatsoever using secure URLs with LWP, so all I can think of
is that for some reason LWP doesn't like this particular URL.

If you access https://sprinks.about.com with a regular web browser you
will never see any errors, so does this mean that LWP is not handling
this request correctly for some strange reason half the time?

I will give my first born to whomever can help me figure this out. =)

Ed Eaton