develooper Front page | perl.libwww | Postings from October 2001

Re: Inconsistencies between URI::URL and MSIE relative URLs

From:
Stephen R. Wilcoxon
Date:
October 1, 2001 13:09
Re: Inconsistencies between URI::URL and MSIE relative URLs
Message ID:
200110012008.QAA28321@mnmailhost
On Sun 2001/09/30 13:50:15 CDT, "Ed ." <ej_zg@hotmail.com> writes:
> > > print url("?x=1", $BASE)->abs, "\n";
> > >     # ^^^ currently makes a link to dir BUT MSIE adds to existing URL,
> > >     # as it does with '#'
> >The "?y" example in Appendix C.1 of RFC 2396 suggests that URI::URL is
> >correct and MSIE incorrect.
>
> Great. However, as we know, people make websites that work with
> their/everyone else's web browser, not ones that necessarily conform to the
> RFCs. Therefore, by preferring the RFC over the (regrettably) overwhelmingly
> popular MSIE, we limit the usefulness of LWP. There should at least be a
> switch for this.

I agree it would be nice to include a switch to behave as MSIE does just
for those who need compatibility.  However, under no circumstances, should
we change the default behavior of URI::URL to break the standard.