develooper Front page | perl.libwww | Postings from August 2001

Deciphering a spammer's URL

From:
Rodney Wines
Date:
August 31, 2001 02:29
Subject:
Deciphering a spammer's URL
Message ID:
004f01c131ff$626a7510$a078849b@ahqps.alcatel.fr
Hello,

This may be a bit offtopic, and I appologize for that.  I am trying to find
or build a tool that'll decipher deliberately convoluted URL's.  I don't know
if there's anything in lwp that'll help, but I reckon that you folks know
more about URL's than most.

I've been getting a bunch of spam from one particular spammer, and my
patience is at an end.  The spam comes from quest.net, but I've gotten no
help there, so I thought perhaps the host of the spammer's web site might be
more helpful.  The problem is, the spammer uses really convoluted URL's that
Samspade can't make any sense of.  Here is an example.

;&#20;&#5;&#20;|https.intba.bzah.com/cell/booster/order.html">

I assume that the real URL comes after the "|".  The "bzah.com" domain
resolves to 127.0.0.1 (localhost), but I did find DNS information for
https.intba.bzah.com.  It'd be great if I could automate the process, and
it'd be even better if someone else did it.

Thanks,

Rodney