develooper Front page | perl.libwww | Postings from August 2001

robot/rules-dbm.t failed test 8

From:
Daniel E. Weber
Date:
August 6, 2001 11:09
Subject:
robot/rules-dbm.t failed test 8
Message ID:
3B6EDE68.38D1E6FA@itg.uiuc.edu
I looked on groups.google for a solution to the following problem and found one
posting dealing with the situation, but no solution. So hopefully someone here
has seen this problem and can diagnose the solution.

I am having trouble with the robot/rules-dbm test, particularly test #8. This
only occurrs with perl-5.6.1, and not perl-5.6.0. I'm running under Redhat Linux
6.2 and both 5.6.0 and 5.6.1 pass all of the installation tests (of perl
itself).

Under perl-5.6.1 only, I get the following messages when running TEST -v:

> ok 7
> *** Dump of database ***
> www.aas.no|exp  1028655617; Tue Aug  6 12:40:17 2002
> |ua-name|       myrobot
> www.aas.no|vis  3; 997119628; Mon Aug  6 12:40:28 2001
> www.sn.no|vis   1; 997119618; Mon Aug  6 12:40:18 2001
> ******
> not ok 8

Test 8 is the test where an attempt is made to open the database with a
different agent name - MOMSpider instead of myrobot.

So what exactly is going on here? Am I correct in assuming that the call to
"no_visits" should return 0 because the user agent name has changed? If so, then
why is the new W:R:AnyDBM_File not recognizing the name change under 5.6.1 but
working properly under 5.6.0?

Or is this a problem with Perl's implementation of the AnyDBM_File class? The
fact that it works under 5.6.0 but fails under 5.6.1 would seem to indicate
something fundamentally wrong with Perl's attempt to deal with the GNU DBM file
format, yet the tied variable prints out the correct information, as far as I
can tell.

Has anyone else seen this problem? Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks,
-Daniel Weber

ps. The build of perl-5.6.1 passed all of the installation tests on this
platform. I can give more verbose data about the build of Perl if needed.

--

]:o_ | Daniel E. Weber (d-weber@uiuc.edu) - ITG Information Technologies | _o:{
 |O =| 4311 Beckman Institute, 405 N Mathews, Urbana, IL, 61801 MC-251   |= O|