develooper Front page | perl.libwww | Postings from July 2001

HTML::Parser::Tidy namespace

From:
Bjoern Hoehrmann
Date:
HTML::Parser::Tidy namespace
Message ID:
p03hlts4qu387sv1djd5fi5e9if2a8hof4@4ax.com
Hi Gisle,
Hi list,

   maybe you have heard of HTML Tidy, a free utility by Dave Raggett to
repair, cleanup and pretty-print HTML and XHTML documents. Please refer

  http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy/

for more information on HTML Tidy.

HTML Tidy is currently maintained by a group of developers including
myself at Sourceforge. One of our goals is to create a free-standing
C-library out of Tidy to ease it's reuse in other applications, see

  http://sourceforge.net/projects/tidy/

for more information on this project.

I'm going to write an Perl XS interface to this library [1] and the best
name I could think of was

  HTML::Parser::Tidy

HTML::Tidy is already taken and something like HTML::PerlTidy implies,
that this cleans up some perl code. I'll try to provide an interface
compatible [2] to HTML::Parser 3.x so that applications built upon
HTML::Parser will be able to use Tidy as an alternative. My current
module provides a simple (XML::Parser::Perl)SAX interface so that I can
use the module to build up a DOM tree for e.g. XML::DOM or XML::XPath.
I'm currently considering if it's worth to expose the whole the DOM-like
functions of HTML Tidy...

However, I'd like to ask if the module name is ok for you, Gisle, and
for others or if one of you as a better suggestion.

The module will be maintained at

  http://sourceforge.net/projects/ptidy

(where you'll currently find nothing but empty pages :-)

If some people are interested in this project, feel free to subscribe to
the PTidy-devel@lists.sourceforge.net, but be aware that I'll bug you
with questions about the interface/documentation/etc.pp. ;-)

[1] I already did something like that in april this year, but I came to
    the conclusion, that HTML Tidy should be a real library to use all
    it's features in other applications easily, so we started that
    project.

[2] To some extent, some features aren't possible.

Thanks for your comments,