develooper Front page | perl.libwww | Postings from July 2001

Downloading files via FTA with Net::FTP and libwww

From:
Todd Gruhn's account
Date:
July 2, 2001 00:48
Subject:
Downloading files via FTA with Net::FTP and libwww
Message ID:
200107010230.f612U8D01309@gandalf.wanderer.us
 I seem to have a bit of a quandry: I wish to write a subroutine
using PERL to download RFCs when I click on the appropriate Tk widget.

My problem is neither the Net::FTP examples (by several authors) nor the
libwww examples (from the Ram book and the lwpcook(3) manpage) work.

I have reason to believe the problem is the firewall and a possible port
change that takes place (in passive mode?).

If I use FTP on the command line everything works fine; if I use Net::FTP
and set Debug => 10, I can watch perl login, cwd, and ask for the file --
after 5min the thing times out and there is nothing on the disk ( I
believe it also complains about not being able to set up the data connection);
if I use LWP, the thing just times out after 5min, and there is a file of 0B
on my disk.

For your information, I am using NetBSD 1.5.0 with the IPF firewall filter
using "keep state" rules for TCP, UDP, and ICMP and PERL 5.6.0.
I could REALLY use some advice...