develooper Front page | perl.libwww | Postings from April 2001

Timeout for HTTP/HTTPS

From:
Ron.W.Flolid
Date:
April 30, 2001 14:52
Subject:
Timeout for HTTP/HTTPS
Message ID:
OFE4FDACBE.E024965C-ON86256A3E.00769899@deluxe.com
I'm trying to invoke a time-out for an HTTP::Request and the equivalent
secured version  I need to establish a timer beyond that provided by the
UserAgent time-out value, (i.e. I need to be able to have a timer in excess
of the value provided by the "time-out" as we have Web servers that have a
tendency to hang on transactions). I've been told that I CAN NOT use a
SIG{ALRM} signal because HTTP and HTTPS use an underlying call to
IO::Socket which in turn uses an alarm and that Perl can only have a single
alarm active at one time. I too was told that there is a version of
IO::Socket that doesn't use the alarm signal. My question is what version
of IO::Socket doesn't contain the alarm and what package does this reside
in? Also, is there a better was to enable the time-out and/or does the new
release of LWP address this issue? Thank you one and all for your kind
consideration of this question.