develooper Front page | perl.libwww | Postings from April 2001

Re: WARNING: default LWP install on Mac OS X is bad, Bad, BAD

From:
Paul J. Schinder
Date:
Re: WARNING: default LWP install on Mac OS X is bad, Bad, BAD
Message ID:
p05100300b706a43e854f@[10.0.1.51]
At 8:32 PM -0700 4/18/01, Gisle Aas wrote:
>"Joseph N. Hall" <joseph@5sigma.com> writes:
>
>>  A default install of LWP on the currently shipping Mac OS X places HEAD in
>>  /usr/bin/HEAD.  Unfortunately this is a case-insensitive
>>filesystem.  So long
>>  /usr/bin/head.  I discovered this as I was preparing to install
>>Xfree86 and now
>>  I have no /usr/bin/head.  Phooey.
>
>Build/install with 'perl Makefile.PL -n' would avoid this problem.
>
>Perhaps it is a good idea to simply set @request_aliases in the
>Makefile.PL to be empty if $^O says it is MacOS X.  What is the $^O
>value in this case?

macosx% perl
print $^O,"\n";
^D
darwin

>Is there any other case-insensitive Unixes?

It's not really the Unix, it's the filesystem, HFS+, which is case
insensitive.  Mac OS X can also use case sensitive UFS partitions.
Next time I install perl I'm moving it to my UFS partition to avoid
such nonsense.  (Other software has also been affected, so in general
I'm building and installing all my additional Unix software to my UFS
partition.)

>Another alternative might be to try to open "$Config{scriptdir}/HEAD".
>If it works disable installation if this file does not appear to come
>from some earlier version of LWP.

That's one possibility.  You could also simply rename HEAD
(lwp-head?), but I'm not sure if that's feasible considering how long
there's been a HEAD in LWP.

>Anybody wants to try to provide a patch?
>
>Regards,
>Gisle

Paul Schinder
schinder@pobox.com