develooper Front page | perl.libwww | Postings from April 2001

Re: WARNING: default LWP install on Mac OS X is bad, Bad, BAD

From:
Reinier Post
Date:
Re: WARNING: default LWP install on Mac OS X is bad, Bad, BAD
Message ID:
20010419092127.A19570@win.tue.nl
On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 06:42:00PM -0700, Joseph N. Hall wrote:
> A default install of LWP on the currently shipping Mac OS X places HEAD in
> /usr/bin/HEAD.  Unfortunately this is a case-insensitive filesystem.  So long
> /usr/bin/head.  I discovered this as I was preparing to install Xfree86 and now
> I have no /usr/bin/head.  Phooey.

This is why third-party software is usually installed in /usr/local.
You changed that default, so the consequences are up to you - although
I would never have anticipated this particular problem.

--
Reinier