develooper Front page | perl.libwww | Postings from April 2001

Timeout of Get request

From:
Ron.W.Flolid
Date:
April 17, 2001 13:18
Subject:
Timeout of Get request
Message ID:
OF37B76FE8.E9EAEF6D-ON86256A31.006ECE4A@deluxe.com
I have a question as to how to limit the time that it takes for
HTTP::Request('GET',xx) for both variants of HTTP or HTTPS to process a
request. x->timeout(time) controls the timer relating to how long the GET
will wait for a response before timing out, but I need to be able to
control how long the overall Get process is taking to resolve the link.
Normally, I have links that respond in under 2 seconds, but there are
situations where it has taken over 5 minutes for a request to be satisfied
as the HTTP server has suspended the task. In this situation, the timeout
won't be of value, because a request was received from the server and it is
in the process of satisfying that request. Ideally what I would like to do
is to make my overall timeout 5 seconds longer than my standard timeout
value for a request. I would like to keep this as a single process and not
create a new process with an alarm handler. Any and all suggestions would
be appreciated.