develooper Front page | perl.libwww | Postings from April 2001

Re: documentation of ignore_tags in HTML::Parser 3.19_94

From:
Nathaniel Irons
Date:
Re: documentation of ignore_tags in HTML::Parser 3.19_94
Message ID:
20010402193902-b01010701-1c114170@216.9.7.186
> If you also enable the 'unbroken_text' option you should get it in
> one piece.

Marvelous!

> > Of course, I think it'd be great if ignored tags acted as if
> > they'd been deleted from the page en masse before parsing began,
> > but that undertaking is beyond my ken.
>
> Do you really want the 'line', 'column' and 'offset' to be reported as
> if these tags where edited out first?  I think that would be wrong and
> make this feature less useful.

Yes, you're right.  I've only been using the module a little while and
wasn't thinking about how this change would interact with the bigger
picture.  The preprocessing workaround is quite slick enough should the
situation recur outside the capabilities of 'unbroken_text'.

Thanks for your help.

  -nat