develooper Front page | perl.libwww | Postings from March 2001

Re: HTML::Form->parse(...)

From:
Gisle Aas
Date:
Re: HTML::Form->parse(...)
Message ID:
lrofuo5s5o.fsf@caliper.ActiveState.com
merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) writes:

> Robert> For example, it's not clear whether a local filename can be
> Robert> given as '$html_document'.  Examples can reduce 1/2 hour of
> Robert> trial and error and swearing to 15 seconds of simple
> Robert> comprehension.
>
> Hmm.  Whenever the docs don't do it for me, I simply type
>
>   perldoc -m HTML::Form
>
> to look at the source, and I can probably still have the answer closer
> to 15 seconds, not a 1/2 hour.
>
> I've also never seen a Perl function accept either a filename or
> a string in the same parameter... since that would be ambiguous, since
> any filename could be a string, and any string could be a filename.
> So I would have looked for a different function already.
>
> This is not to say that more examples wouldn't be nice, but I don't
> think they're necessary, at least for the question you cited above.

Examples are also more likely to be added if a patch is provided :-)

Regarding HTML::Form->parse: It was as mistake to not just pass on the
$html_document parameter directly to HTML::TokeParser so that parsing
both from files and literal documents could be automatically
supported.  I guess there is no way to fix this other than using new
names:

  HTML::Form->parse_string($str, $base);
  HTML::Form->parse_file($file, $base);

Regards,