develooper Front page | perl.libwww | Postings from March 2001

LWP UserAgent Cookie Problem - redirect to same URI (?)

From:
sborruso
Date:
March 16, 2001 10:10
Subject:
LWP UserAgent Cookie Problem - redirect to same URI (?)
Message ID:
200103161807.f2GI7PT19466@mailout1.nyroc.rr.com
Greetings,

I posted a problem the other day, which I've been receiving some
offline sugestions with (thanks again), related to logging into a cookies
controlled site.

Here's my original append of the problem -
http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/websoft/libwww-perl/archive/2001h1/0235.html

I've tried a couple of suggested ways around my problem from recent appends
by folks with similar situations. I tried the "LWP::UserAgent::redirect_ok" sub
suggested in a recent append but this didn't help.
Here's the append I took this suggestion from -
http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/websoft/libwww-perl/archive/2001h1/0250.html

I've since scanned the mailing list archive and stumbled upon something that
appears to state that LWP won't be able to handle my situation (?) -

>There is one problem though.  Some servers send a redirect to the
>exact same URI that the first request was aimed at, together with some
>Set-Cookie headers.  $ua->request() will currently not follow such
>redirects, because it think this will be an infinite loop.
Here's where I found this append -
http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/websoft/libwww-perl/archive/2000h2/0760.html

This sounds like the case I have. Initial cookies are received by my
perl cgi, but when I send the POST with my login info, the header cookie values
that are returned are null and I'm returned the same login page from where I did
the POST. My cookie file still contains the initial cookie data received.

I get HTTP 200 return codes on all requests. Nothing appears in the headers
that would make me think I'm being re-directed but a suggested test (using
LWP simple_request) proved I am being redirected, apparently to the same URI.

I've been banging my head against this for a week now. The assistance received
so far has been great !

Can anyone suggest an alternate solution to this problem ?

I have header trace output for all responses I receive if that would be useful.

Thanks in advance,
Steve Borruso

pop-server.stny.rr.com