develooper Front page | perl.libwww | Postings from February 2001

bad failure mode on https "connection refused"

From:
Greg Roelofs
Date:
February 22, 2001 03:46
Subject:
bad failure mode on https "connection refused"
Message ID:
200102212348.f1LNmOb24654@sonic.net
[I'm not on this list, in case it's not obvious.]

/usr/bin/HEAD from a just-installed libwww-perl 5.50 with Crypt-SSLeay
(0.22) support appears not to detect "connection refused" errors correctly.
Rather than generating its own "500 Server error" (or similar), it fails
with:

    Can't call method "request" on an undefined value at
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/LWP/UserAgent.pm line 227.

Here's an example URL (that was valid a year or two ago, anyway):

    https://cvs-mirror.mozilla.org/webtools/despot/help.html

The same thing happens for a site that has never run a secure server

    https://vevo.com/

and one for which Netscape reports a network "I/O error":

    https://pobox.com/

Other than that, this is a stupendously useful tool.  Many thanks!

Greg Roelofs            newt@pobox.com            http://pobox.com/~newt/
Newtware, PNG Group, Info-ZIP, Philips Research, ...