develooper Front page | perl.libwww | Postings from February 2001

Re: / and DirectoryIndex

From:
John Indra
Date:
February 21, 2001 18:18
Re: / and DirectoryIndex
Message ID:
20010222091812.A18460@office.naver.co.id
On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 01:09:50PM +0100, Reinier Post wrote:

>> - http:://www.domain.com/
>
>This :: notation is contagious :-)

Ha3x... unbelievable. I didn't even notice that before. I was writing my
user agent when I wrote this message :)

>The server won't tell you whether or not they're the same document.

Yikes :(
Then I have to live with downloading duplicates I guess :(

>You have the same problem with server aliases or symlinks: the whole
>tree
>   http://www.domain.com/a/butreally/b/*
>may be identical to
>  http://www.domain.com/b/*

I see what you mean.  I was only interested in teaching my user-agent to
"know" that / and /index.html (or whatever remote HTTP server DirectoryIndex
set to) is the same so need not to make double GET to same document.

I guess that's not feasible without some checking, and checking like this
will be very time consuming and bandwith inefficient :(

Well, thanks for the reply anyway :)

>Reinier

/john