develooper Front page | perl.libwww | Postings from February 2001

Re: Workaround for LWP/Solaris missing EOF bug

From:
Steve Borruso
Date:
February 18, 2001 09:23
Re: Workaround for LWP/Solaris missing EOF bug
Message ID:
3A9002B2.5133932E@stny.rr.com
Greetings,

I've been experiencing a similiar "solaris EOF" problem on my server (virtual server, use a web hosting service)
for the last few months. I've been able to recreate it using LWP, the WGET package, and the LYNX commandline
browser app. The problem only appears to happen when I try to retrieve files from a couple of different sites (auction.goto.com and
home.net).

I hacked a simple perl script, along with placing test image files at the two target sites mentioned above, which demonstrates
the problem. The script uses LYNX with debug turned on and shows that the an HTTP 200 is received for all files but the script will
hang when receiving what appears to be the last packet of the image file being retrieved. Occasionally a couple of the files will come through

fine, sometimes the hang clears and I get a partial file, most times the hang just times out after several minutes.

I finally got my web hosting company to at least appear to listen to me on this problem. They've run my script and can re-create the problem.
I sent them the append below but the links now seem to go to Google.com (maybe a recent coorporate take over has stopped real work from
being done once again ?)

I would appreciate any other information that anyone can provide on this problem and also an alternate way to get the info on the solaris
fix/patch that I can send to my web hosting company for their review. If anyone's intereted in the test script please let me know.

Thanks for your time.

Best regards,
Steve Borruso