develooper Front page | perl.libwww | Postings from January 2001

Re: Stopping on the web!

From:
Justin Case
Date:
Re: Stopping on the web!
Message ID:
3A717B44.E82A194@earthlink.net
C K wrote:
> If named webcheck.cgi, it allows online execution, verbose html printout
> as it checks a site, and termination via the browser's stop button
> Do you know how I can catch the user's cancellation via pressing the stop
> button or exiting the browser?  Can one even do this?

Why make your users wait?

I have a spider program (using perl and libwww) that you start with your
browser, but then you go away and come back later to see the results, which are
written to a file. That way, if you have a big web site and it takes hours or
days to check it, the user does not have to tie up their browser the whole time.