develooper Front page | perl.libwww | Postings from January 2001

https woes

From:
Howard Cohen
Date:
January 11, 2001 13:42
Subject:
https woes
Message ID:
3A5E2419.112CEB04@timefold.com
Hi all, I'm having a really hard time getting an https post to work.
I'm using libwww (5.49) with URI (1.09) and Crypt-SSLeay-0.21.  I just freshly
compiled and installed openssl-0.9.6.

I'm running on "SunOS 5.7 Generic_106541-04 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10"
(that's the uname -a).

The effect I see is that the post hangs for a long time and ultimately gives
me a 500 error with the cryptic message "Bad File Number".  I am able to get
this to work when I post to a test CGI I wrote, but when I post to
www.quickcommerce.net/scripts/qc25/authrequest.asp on port 443 it always
fails.  :-(

  post_https: result=500 (Internal Server Error) Can't connect to    www.quickcommerce.net:443 (Bad file number)
  post_https: Client-Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 20:57:37 GMT
  resp=
  result=500 (Internal Server Error) Can't connect to www.quickcommerce.net:443   (Bad file number)
  Client-Date=Thu, 11 Jan 2001 20:57:37 GMT

At this point I'm not sure how to proceed to debug this.  I'm no
security expert but I'm a good software engineer and am willing
to try something to get it working.  I just don't know what that
would be...

Also, I'm assuming that port 443 is correct for an https post.  Could I
be wrong about that?  It does work for my test CGI, as I mentioned.

Could this have anything to do with my firewall?  The test script was
on the same host.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Peace,

	Howard