develooper Front page | perl.libwww | Postings from January 2001

how to flatten Requests and Responses ?

From:
Heinrich Langos
Date:
January 2, 2001 09:19
Subject:
how to flatten Requests and Responses ?
Message ID:
20010102181939.H3745@wh9.tu-dresden.de

hi

i'm new to the list. so, first of all, thanx for libwww-perl ...

and here's MY problem :-)

I would like to flatten HTTP::Response and HTTP::Request objects so
that i can transfer them between different computers make them objects
on the other side again.

"as_string" doesn't do the trick since it takes a lot of
string-parsing to translate the string back to an object.

anybody else done something like that? is there a builtin function
that i just didn't see ?

background: i work on an anonymizing proxy solution with a local
  filtering proxy and a remote prefetching proxy. both connected by a
  link that has medium bandwidth but high latency.

  a local proxy gets a request and strips it of obvious stuff like
  cookies, referrer, user-agent and sends that request to the
  prefetcher.  the prefetching proxy should get the request, forward
  it to the server and parse the response for embeded links like IMG
  and FRAME. then it should fetch the embedded objects and return the
  whole thing in one batch to the local proxy. the local proxy would
  take that batch apart, strip it of evil stuff and feed the response
  to the initial request and the follow-up requests to the browser as
  it asks for them.

  since both proxys will be written in perl i would like to minimize
  the conversions if there is a way to do it.

TIA
-heinrich

--
                Heinrich Langos <heinrich@null.net>