develooper Front page | perl.libwww | Postings from December 2000

timeouts not working

From:
Andrew Daviel
Date:
December 28, 2000 14:51
Subject:
timeouts not working
Message ID:
Pine.LNX.4.21.0012281337020.15886-100000@andrew.triumf.ca

I'm slowly converting some robot code from Perl4 to Perl5
(well, I thought I had done it but some things still aren't right)

I am currently trying to run on a RedHat 6.2 Linux system
which I believe comes with perl-5.00503-12 installed with RPM.

I have just installed libwww-perl-5.48 having previously been trying
5.42

Basically, the problem is that timeouts don't work.

I have some test code more-or-less like:
  $url = new URI::URL $url ;
  $ua = new LWP::UserAgent;
  $ua->timeout(10);
  $request = new HTTP::Request 'HEAD';
  $request->url($url);
  $response = $ua->request($request);

I have chased this down through as far as

IO::Socket::INET::configure(/usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/i386-linux/IO/Socket.pm:587):
587:                $fh->connect($rport,$raddr) or
588:                    return _error($fh,"$!");

which appears to eventually timeout with a much longer timeout (many
minutes)

Also, it seems that any alarm handler I set up myself is also
ignored.

Is this some weird one-off thing on my system, or a problem
in perl-5.00503-12 ?
I confess I don't quite undertand Socket.pm as connect() seems
to be recursive and do nothing.

Andrew Daviel