develooper Front page | perl.libwww | Postings from December 2000

Re: Useragent and virtual host

From:
Liam Quinn
Date:
Re: Useragent and virtual host
Message ID:
Pine.LNX.4.30.0012122334001.6110-100000@server.htmlhelp.com
On Wed, 20 Dec 2000, Lead wrote:

> I have been using multiple Useragent scripts to crawl other websites, each
> of the scripts are hosted in virtual domains.  My problem is the remote IP
> appearing to the crawled site is the main domain's and not virtual domains'.
>
> I wander if there is other method that I can use such that when a remote
> site is crawled the virtual domain IP appears to them.

If the virtual domains are using HTTP/1.1 name-based virtual hosting, then
all the hosts will share the same IP address.  You shouldn't rely on IP
addresses when getting Web pages since name-based virtual hosting is quite
common.

--
Liam Quinn