develooper Front page | perl.libnet | Postings from February 2009

Behaviour in FTP->get not quite as expected.

From:
Frans Grotepass
Date:
February 23, 2009 05:55
Subject:
Behaviour in FTP->get not quite as expected.
Message ID:
49A2AAA7.7060702@yahoo.co.uk
Hi all,

We use the FTP section of the library to gather remote files. We ran into a bug when the drive on
the local machine filled up. I did some tests and found the following:

When calling FTP->get, the program neatly returned:
"Cannot write to Local file 04_20080726_165956_623.dat: No space left on device"
on stdout.
The function: FTP->message, however returned:
" File successfully transferred"
for a partial transfer and
"Transfer aborted"
for the situation where the disk is completely full. Is it not an idea to include the "No space left
on device" error in the message call?

Version of perl is 5.10.0 on Fedora 10

On Solaris using 5.8.8 the following return values were seen.
"Transfer complete."
for a partial transfer
"Transfer aborted. Data connection closed"
for no transfer.

How can I best handle a device full error when using the script in a set-up that has its own logging
mechanism and does not use stdout for user interaction?