develooper Front page | perl.libnet | Postings from December 2003

STOU with non-compliant remote hosts

From:
Wiggins d Anconia
Date:
December 17, 2003 09:16
Subject:
STOU with non-compliant remote hosts
Message ID:
200312171716.hBHHGSk17523@residualselfimage.com
The issue is that when calling the 'put_unique' method if the remote
server does not implement the protocol properly (aka it does not return
a remote file name) then 'put_unique' returns 'undef' (false) eventhough
the file may have been transferred successfully.

Naturally my request would be that it either set an artifical true but
with a warning, or return undef after not being able to find a remote
file name but before actually transferring the file.

Or am I just off my rocker and not reading the source properly?  The
culprit is in Net/FTP.pm line 720.  In the case of STOR and APPE the
remote filename is set, in the case of STOU it should be set in the
session transcript from the remote host, and in the case that it can't
be scraped from there it is set to an undefined value, then once the
preceedings are closed $remote is returned which is still undef,
eventhough the file has been transferred.

I also realize that the FTP implementation on the remote side is not RFC
compliant (damn legacy mainframes), but I would think Net::FTP should
work around that, even if just to complain that it is not compliant and
fail miserably rather than returning a false negative.

A similar issue was raised here:
http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/Bug.html?id=1442

But doesn't hit to when the remote host does not provide anything like
those messages, or anything at all.

Let me know if more information is needed,

http://danconia.org

--
Boycott the Sugar Bowl! You couldn't pay me to watch that game.