develooper Front page | perl.libnet | Postings from December 2002

socket programming problem

From:
Thomas Heinis
Date:
December 16, 2002 14:18
Subject:
socket programming problem
Message ID:
000201c2a551$1ff5c650$448ea2d9@hal
Dear Fellow Perl Developers,

I have a Perl problem that is becoming more and more annoying. I try to
do the following: I send SNMP messages over a socket and receive the
send(), and receiving if select(I use select in order to do this
non-blocking) indicates that there is a message waiting to be received
using recv(). Now, my problem is, that select does not really indicate
whether or not a there is a message waiting. In most cases select really
indicates if a message is waiting. But in some cases I can see(by using
snoop) that there should be a message, but select still says that
there's nothing to be received. If I use sysread, to read from the
socket, there is a message waiting there and I can read it. But select
still returns 0. This is quite awkward. Is there something I did
conceptually wrong? Has anybody an idea how to solve this problem? Is
this the right list for that kind of problem?

Any thoughts and suggestions are very much appreciated.

Thanks

Thomas