develooper Front page | perl.ldap | Postings from December 2021

RE: [EXTERNAL] Re: Net::LDAP not returning SEQUENCE data type

From:
johnhirsch via perl-ldap
Date:
December 17, 2021 12:20
RE: [EXTERNAL] Re: Net::LDAP not returning SEQUENCE data type
Message ID:
CH0PR07MB8860875DC8A9314040243C14AA789@CH0PR07MB8860.namprd07.prod.outlook.com
I’ll do that. Thanks!

From: Chris Ridd <chrisridd@mac.com>
Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2021 11:41 AM
To: HIRSCH, JOHN <johnhirsch@northwesternmutual.com>
Cc: perl-ldap@perl.org
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: Net::LDAP not returning SEQUENCE data type

On 15 Dec 2021, at 22:27, johnhirsch via perl-ldap <perl-ldap@perl.org<mailto:perl-ldap@perl.org>> wrote:

Hi. I am working on migrating a perl script that uses Net::LDAP from HP-UX to RedHat Linux. When running the script on RedHat Linux, the debug seems to indicate that Net:LDAP is returning a 00 for the ASN1 data type instead of the standard 30:

00 82 07 4D 02 01 03 64 82 07 46 04 2D 75 69 64 ...M...d..F.-uid

Everything else is identical to the script running on HP-UX, including all of the data returned. Only the ASN1 type is different. This is what I see in HP-UX

30 82 07 4D 02 01 03 64 82 07 46 04 2D 75 69 64 0..M...d..F.-uid

This results in a decode error since the data type is incorrect.

decode error 00<=>30 0 8  at /opt/perl/Convert-ASN1-0.33/lib/Convert/ASN1/_decode.pm line 117

The working script is actually using a very old version of Net::LDAP and Convert:ASN1, while the non-working script was updated to the latest versions to see if that would resolve the issue. It hasn’t, so I’m guessing that there is something else preventing Net::LDAP from returning the correct value for the ASN1 data type. Any ideas on why this would be happening and how to get Net::LDAP to return the correct data type? Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks!

That’s rather strange. Can you compare bytes captured by Wireshark with what Net::LDAP’s debug is writing? If the bytes are indeed different then it sounds more like an issue with Convert::ASN1. The new maintainer of that package is quite active so raising an issue with him on GitHub would be a good next step.

https://github.com/timlegge<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/github.com/timlegge__;!!IqRYp603ny2KL2MbNA!nz9dj7F2puUYhEu0HD_jdhC0xMv1nTcDm-N-YZwerTibqacEuWJAGHchAk3TY7nRe1Qn9bqImg$>

Good luck!

Chris

This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential information of Northwestern Mutual. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this e-mail and any attachments is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify Northwestern Mutual immediately by returning it to the sender and delete all copies from your system. Please be advised that communications with {SECURE MESSAGE} in the subject line have been sent using a secure messaging system. Communications that do not have this tag may not be secure and could be observed by a third party. Our commitment to privacy: At Northwestern Mutual, your privacy is important to us. For more information about our privacy practices, please review our privacy notices.