develooper Front page | perl.ldap | Postings from January 2018

Re: Net::LDAP::Entry - RFC

From:
Chris Ridd
Date:
January 2, 2018 18:59
Re: Net::LDAP::Entry - RFC
Message ID:
0BBA36CB-4E08-4768-9BE3-5D7ABC89551C@mac.com

> On 2 Jan 2018, at 13:36, Burns, Victor M via perl-ldap <perl-ldap@perl.org> wrote:
>
> Thanks for getting back to me. I suspect I confused the version number. As you know perl-ldap is a large set of classes. I am using the latest perl-ldap-0.65 and the class in Question Net::LDAP::Entry is 0.27 and is confirmed both on my system and on CPAN at this link; http://search.cpan.org/~marschap/perl-ldap-0.65/lib/Net/LDAP/Entry.pod which shows it is version 0.27 and is part of perl-ldap-0.65

OK.

> As I mentioned it might be nice if the ldif method supported additional options. I found it useful to have a wrap => 0 option to disable wrapping. For now I get around the issue by cheating. In a class I've written I fudge a new method, ldif_nowrap, into the Net::LDAP::Entry namespace, "God bless PERL!" that hardcodes the ( wrap => 0 ) into it and I call it in the place of the regular ldif method. I do it this way and avoid the Perl redefined subroutine warning all together. I'm a huge fan of strict and warnings! I don't write anything without them. :)

Disabling LDIF wrapping is pretty useful when you’ve got long values getting output, and you’re eyeballing the output, or even passing it to tools that aren’t LDIF-aware (e.g. grep!)

We (ForgeRock) even changed the default in ForgeRock's ldapsearch tool to not wrap as of DS 5.x.

IMO changing Net::LDAP::LDIF to be able to not wrap would be useful.

Chris