develooper Front page | perl.kiokudb | Postings from January 2013

Re: only reading objects

From:
Yuval Kogman
Date:
January 26, 2013 19:35
Re: only reading objects
Message ID:
CAAQdECAq53Wo8k1MCsoXXpXcUskrgFCR6FVmcVZnBdrHeHbp2g@mail.gmail.com
KiokuDB can work for your application. The plain file system storage
backend should work for what you'd like.

We've used this approach before and it has some advantages and
disadvantages, namely it's pretty easy to create a configuration object
system with lots of complexity to help remove the extra work from the core
of the app, and even write a few scripts to update it in an orderly way.
It's also OK-ish to edit the database by hand if it's JSON but it gets to
be a pain to navigate all the separate files. There's KiokuX app whose name
I forget that lets you connect to a DB and edit it with a web interface.
Also keep in mind this is a big chunk of code/functionality for someone new
to learn, so it might not be a time saver in the long run if you need to go
back to something more traditional or if you need to explain what's going
on to someone. If you're using KiokuDB in your app for other reasons I
guess that gets mitigated, but it sounds like it might be a bit overkill
for what you want.

I wouldn't reccomend MooseX::Storage exactly for the reason you cite, also
it's a little bit of an all-or-nothing type thing, if you need to do
something out of its capabilities it can be tough.

At any rate, for KiokuDB to write to disk you have to tell it to do so
explicitly by using ->store or ->update on the fetched objects. The system
will then scan through the working memory copy, and write the new data to
disk.