develooper Front page | perl.ithreads | Postings from June 2013

Re: Shared object destruction: docs and historical behavior

From:
Dave Mitchell
Date:
June 24, 2013 14:33
Re: Shared object destruction: docs and historical behavior
Message ID:
20130624143341.GK2120@iabyn.com
On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 08:30:32AM -0500, Mike Pomraning wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 5:53 AM, Dave Mitchell <davem@iabyn.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 11:26:41AM -0500, Mike Pomraning wrote:
> >> The threads::shared POD warns:
> >>
> >>     [A shared] object's destructor may get called multiple times, once
> >> for each thread's scope exit.
> >>
> >> Is this caution still accurate?
> >>
> >> Beginning with perl 5.8.9 / threads 1.71 / threads::shared 1.27 I
> >> cannot reproduce the behavior.  (5.8.8 does destroy objects multiple
> >> times for me, however.)
> >
> > Given that the warning text was removed in the 5.8.9 POD, I think that
> > it's fair to assume the issue has been fixed.
>
> Sorry, which POD is that?
>
> That warning ("destructor may get called multiple times") appears in
> threads-shared-1.43 [1], which ships with 5.18.0.  FWIW, every previous
> maint release I have also contains that text.

Sorry, my mistake. Between 5.8.8 and 5.8.9 the text was moved from the

    =item share VARIABLE

section to the

    =head1 BUGS AND LIMITATIONS

section

--
Wesley Crusher gets beaten up by his classmates for being a smarmy git,
and consequently has a go at making some friends of his own age for a