develooper Front page | perl.ithreads | Postings from June 2013

Re: Shared object destruction: docs and historical behavior

From:
Mike Pomraning
Date:
June 24, 2013 13:31
Re: Shared object destruction: docs and historical behavior
Message ID:
CAPZFfA8qjn98iF=0YQmh6uTVMiofGAuBs8R27gYL+Xj_O7Ux0w@mail.gmail.com
On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 5:53 AM, Dave Mitchell <davem@iabyn.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 11:26:41AM -0500, Mike Pomraning wrote:
>> The threads::shared POD warns:
>>
>>     [A shared] object's destructor may get called multiple times, once
>> for each thread's scope exit.
>>
>> Is this caution still accurate?
>>
>> Beginning with perl 5.8.9 / threads 1.71 / threads::shared 1.27 I
>> cannot reproduce the behavior.  (5.8.8 does destroy objects multiple
>> times for me, however.)
>
> Given that the warning text was removed in the 5.8.9 POD, I think that
> it's fair to assume the issue has been fixed.

Sorry, which POD is that?

That warning ("destructor may get called multiple times") appears in
threads-shared-1.43 [1], which ships with 5.18.0.  FWIW, every previous
maint release I have also contains that text.

 [1] http://cpansearch.perl.org/src/JDHEDDEN/threads-shared-1.43/lib/threads/shared.pm

-Mike