develooper Front page | perl.ithreads | Postings from June 2013

Re: Shared object destruction: docs and historical behavior

From:
Elizabeth Mattijsen
Date:
June 24, 2013 11:09
Re: Shared object destruction: docs and historical behavior
Message ID:
829CA164-A0C9-4443-8F7C-364C246E40EA@dijkmat.nl
On Jun 24, 2013, at 12:53 PM, Dave Mitchell <davem@iabyn.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 11:26:41AM -0500, Mike Pomraning wrote:
>> The threads::shared POD warns:
>>
>>    [A shared] object's destructor may get called multiple times, once
>> for each thread's scope exit.
>>
>> Is this caution still accurate?
>>
>> Beginning with perl 5.8.9 / threads 1.71 / threads::shared 1.27 I
>> cannot reproduce the behavior.  (5.8.8 does destroy objects multiple
>> times for me, however.)
>
> Given that the warning text was removed in the 5.8.9 POD, I think that
> it's fair to assume the issue has been fixed.

Hmm... it appears that Thread::Bless is doing a bit more than I thought.  So it cannot become a noop for Perl 5.8.9 and higher.  :-(

BTW, anyone wishing to obtain co-maint on any of my Thread:: modules, please let me know!

Liz