develooper Front page | perl.ithreads | Postings from June 2013

Re: Shared object destruction: docs and historical behavior

From:
Elizabeth Mattijsen
Date:
June 22, 2013 20:28
Re: Shared object destruction: docs and historical behavior
Message ID:
470FAA66-365C-453F-8300-C74F1F3CB40E@dijkmat.nl
On Jun 22, 2013, at 6:26 PM, Mike Pomraning <mjp@pilcrow.madison.wi.us> wrote:
> The threads::shared POD warns:
>
> [A shared] object's destructor may get called multiple times, once
> for each thread's scope exit.

FWIW, that's exactly the reason I once create Thread::Bless.

> Is this caution still accurate?

I have no idea.  I lost interest in ithreads sometime in 2003.

> Beginning with perl 5.8.9 / threads 1.71 / threads::shared 1.27 I
> cannot reproduce the behavior.  (5.8.8 does destroy objects multiple
> times for me, however.)

Would be interested in knowing whether this was fixed.  I will then adjust Thread::Bless to become a noop for 5.8.9 and higher.

Liz