develooper Front page | perl.ithreads | Postings from November 2011

Re: timing out threads

From:
Mike Pomraning
Date:
November 2, 2011 06:23
Re: timing out threads
Message ID:
CAPZFfA-GHd8jHd-d3+k4u_ANe2PFShWjmfY1D0ckziQ7YJZxUA@mail.gmail.com
On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 6:09 PM, Danny Wong (dannwong) <dannwong@cisco.com>wrote:

>        I would like to perform the following, start X (say 10) number
> of threads to perform some operation (ex. Copy command), I would like to
> exit or return out of the thread(s) that takes too long ( ex. 30 minutes
> ).

Danny,

Can you show us in more detail what the long-running threads are doing,
perhaps some pseudocode?  How one safely kills/interrupts/shuts down a
thread depends on what that thread is doing.

As this forum discussed a little over a year ago, threads stuck in blocking
system calls present their own design challenges.

-Mike