develooper Front page | perl.ithreads | Postings from August 2008

Re: XS callbacks from different threads.

From:
Josef Wolf
Date:
August 3, 2008 23:10
Re: XS callbacks from different threads.
Message ID:
20080804060415.GA4446@raven.wolf.lan
On Sun, Aug 03, 2008 at 10:07:26PM +0300, Shmuel Fomberg wrote:
> Josef Wolf wrote:
>
> > IIUC, I don't need to create multiple PerlInterpreter's.  I just need
> > to set up the TLS properly in each thread.  But it is not clear to me
> > how to do that.
> >    # Main thread returns immediately after creating background threads
> >    # For now we only sit and wait until we get killed.  In a future
> >    # improvement we might periodically check for configuration
> >    # changes and restart.
>
> IANAE, (I am not an expert) but if you say that the main thread returns
> immediately and waiting in a loop for the lib, then you already have one
> thread inside Perl. So the background threads shouldn't call into your
> perl interpreter.

Thanks for your answer, Shmuel!

If I understand correctly, I have two options then:

1. _not_ let the main thread return back from the XS.  That is, I
   move the sleep(0) from the perl script into the init() function.
   Would that break anything withhin perl?

2. I need to create a second perl interpreter (or clone the first one).
   Can somebody point me to example code how to do that?