develooper Front page | perl.ithreads | Postings from April 2008

Re: Perl threads under Windows

From:
Dean Arnold
Date:
April 19, 2008 14:33
Re: Perl threads under Windows
Message ID:
480A6521.8010506@presicient.com
Octavian Rasnita wrote:

> Passing messages to a window might not seem very complicated, but if
> there are more windows, and many rules based on admin's preferences, on
> user's schedule, or by user's request, might make the program a
> spaghetti application. I think what I want to do should be a very common
> client-server application. Do you know if I could find somewhere such
> sample apps made in perl?

My suggestion is to try perlmonks.org and do a super
search for "Tk threads"; its been discussed and
coded there numerous times. Here's the most recent:

http://www.perlmonks.com/?node_id=522177

FWIW: you might take a look at Thread::Apartment to see
if you can wrap Wx in its own thread, and make it
look like you're passing objects around. I'd started to
create a Tk::Threaded for Perl/Tk based on that, but
it needs inter-thread tie()'d operations, which aren't available
via the current ithreads environment.

- Dean