develooper Front page | perl.ithreads | Postings from August 2002

Re: Goodbye to threads

From:
Dave Mitchell
Date:
August 19, 2002 15:02
Re: Goodbye to threads
Message ID:
20020819230038.C8720@fdgroup.com
On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 10:16:11PM +0200, Elizabeth Mattijsen wrote:
> Please note that all of these runs all did the _same_ amount of work,
> just with a different number of worker threads.  And as the job itself
> is minimal, we're basically measuring overhead here.  The benchmark is
> not measuring thread startup or thread shutdown, just what happens
> inside the threads themselves.

But your code is not using cond_wait()/cond_signal() correctly, so you just
have lots of clients actively fighting each other for the lock.

What is the code actually supposed to be doing as regards synchronising
between the client and server threads?

Dave.

--
"Do not dabble in paradox, Edward, it puts you in danger of fortuitous
wit." Lady Croom - Arcadia