develooper Front page | perl.ithreads | Postings from August 2002

Re: Thread-Tie-0.01

From:
Elizabeth Mattijsen
Date:
August 12, 2002 06:23
Re: Thread-Tie-0.01
Message ID:
4.2.0.58.20020812152047.02ad8ee0@mickey.dijkmat.nl
At 02:59 PM 8/12/02 +0200, Arthur Bergman wrote:
>>You mean an OS that yields()?  The thing is that using shared variables
>>_doesn't_ eat away at CPU as my approach does.  Maybe that is caused by
>>the client/server swap you (or Arthur?) were describing...
>If yield() doesn't yield one might try sleep 0;

Hmmmm... is that something you want me to try out?  Or do you want to have
this be part of the documentation?

My first question would be: why would I need to do a sleep 0?  Why can't
threads->yield do that for me if that is the correct way to yield on this
system?

I will try this and report the result...

Liz