develooper Front page | perl.ithreads | Postings from August 2002

Re: Thread-Tie-0.01

From:
Arthur Bergman
Date:
August 10, 2002 14:30
Re: Thread-Tie-0.01
Message ID:
49CA663F-ACA8-11D6-A8AF-003065D64CBE@contiller.se

On lördag, augusti 10, 2002, at 04:58 , Elizabeth Mattijsen wrote:

> Hmmm... thinking some more about this.  Why _is_ the FETCHed value of a
> tied variable saved locally?  How would any internal (XS) module know
> whether it would be ok to use the saved value or to do a FETCH again?
>
> Would it not make even more sense to change this behaviour of tied
> variables?
>

> Liz

Because that is how tied/magic works, the internals/XS doesn't know it
is tied, they use it as a ordinary  variable, but before they use it
perl automatically gets get_magic on the value which can set the
variable to something.

Changing this would be good, how it is to be done I don't know, my idea
is to use PMCs but maybe this is unfixable for perl.

OTOH, Nothing is impossible, it is SMOP.

Arthur